Welcome to the last newsletter of September! Last week was a holiday around here, so the issue got lost in a mountain of meat and empanadas.
I'm kicking off this one with VimJam 2 partial results: Game Engines. (There are still a couple of day for voting, so no placement results)
Out of 413 entries, only 129 games had a "Made with" category on their Itch's page. The cool ones.
Unity looks a little weak, with "only" 43%, while Construct did lot better than in other jams I've seen. But that could be because Vimlark is a Construct developer, and I assume a lot of his followers are too. I'm just guessing tho, but on GMTK's game jam, Construct had only 2.4% of the pie.
It could also be partially because of GameMaker's new subscription model. The change between jams is not that big tho, and it would reflect on Godot too (because free engine!), not just in Construct.
In any case, yay Godot!
Godot Engine Tag on Twitch
The user GDesecrate was the first dev to stream using the new Godot Engine tag. He started only a few minutes after the announcement was made. He was followed by Pettanko_neko and Kaiakairos, both of them working on their VimJam2 entries, Monk E Scape (Not finished, apparently) and Gun Gladiator.
As of this week, there hasn't been too much activity. Not yet anyway. Six devs at the same time was the highest I've seen so far.
I have a tracker ready to start following the tag 24/7. I'll run it for a few months and then show you the results.
📰 Godot news round-up
- Godot is sitting at the 98th position on a software-repos ranking on GitHub, by number of stars:
- godotassets.io is a new marketplace for Godot. It was published some 9 days ago and still only has the creator projects on it (no user submitted ones just yet). You can get a full discussion about it on this Reddit post. I'll keep an eye on it for now.
- Post-processing tool for Godot - created by user Mohammed-Anwar on GitHub (and Reddit).
probably one of the coolest projects I've seen, this tool lets you add a myriad of effects into your game after it's finished.
- Tiles editor progress report #5 - I encourage you to read the whole thing, because it's cool, and the new tile editor looks amazing, but the main reason I'm linking it is this:
This is most likely the last progress report before the 4.0 alpha.
- Lua in Godot by Gamefromscratch - Game from Scratch made a video on the Godot-lua-pluginscript: a "GDNative + PluginScript library that adds support for Lua as a scripting language in Godot."
- KenneyNL just published 800+ Input Prompts sprites for free.
If you have anything you want to share with the Godot development community please let me know by sending an email to email@example.com